Runway to PlaneSense
The Portsmouth International Airport at Pease (PSM) has an enormous runway that measures 11,321 feet—over 2 miles! It is one of the longest on the eastern seaboard and capable of accommodating the world’s largest aircrafts.
- The PSM runway can safely handle any aircraft in the US Military.
- Air Traffic Control for this runway is handled jointly between the USAF and Civilian Controllers.
- Previously, before the program was closed, this runway was 1 of 7 abort sites for the Space Shuttle.
- This runway can safely handle the largest airline aircraft in the world— the Airbus A380.
- Notably large aircraft that have landed here include the: C-5 Galaxy, The Antonov AN-124, and The Boeing Dreamlifter.
- The 24-hour a day coverage by the Aircraft Rescue and Fire Fighting team exceeds FAA requirements.
- Experienced crews are dedicated to keeping airfield open in all winter conditions 24/7. Highly skilled operators use up to 26 major pieces of advanced equipment and can clear the runway of snow in 20 minutes.
Runway 16/34 Stats:
Headings: 165 and 345
Field Elevation: 100' MSL
Dimensions: 11,321' by 150'
Note: This article is displaying as it appeared in Volume 17 of our PlaneSense: Informational Quarterly newsletter.
Images courtesy of Terri Dowaliby
Click here to return to the index of articles.